Friday, December 12, 2008

The Purpose of TeachTron in Engineering Education

So...What is TeachTron?

TeachTron is my humble attempt to let teachers anywhere learn from my triumphs and mistakes trying to teach Engineering to high school students. The benefit for all of my readers will be that I'll be posting everything that I've done so far, as wel as a report on how well it worked and what things I'll need to change for next time. I will also be trying out some things for the first time, and reporting on them real-time as my students are working on them. I'm also gearing up to write a book, so I'm throwing ideas around here to see how people react to them and what the interest level might be.

Why am I doing this? As an engineer, I need to share the things I have learned. People often ask me "If you are an Engineer, why don't you do engineering and work for a company? You'd make more money!" My response to this is that the United States is lagging behind the rest of the world when it comes to science, engineering, and technology. We need more engineers than we produce every year. If I practice engineering, I am just one engineer. However, if I teach, I have the potential to motivate hundreds, if not thousands of students to enter into careers in math, science, and especially engineering.

Thanks for reading.

TTFN (Teaching Technology For Now)

No comments:

Post a Comment